Tuesday, September 28, 2010

House 7.02 "Selfish" Review

I went to write this review right after watching last night's episode, but then decided maybe it was better to let it sink in a little more.  Although, I'm not sure that I feel any differently than I did last night. 

I liked "Selfish" for the most part.  It was amusing how House told everyone about Cuddy and him in the first 30 seconds of the episode (after telling Cuddy he wouldn't), but I usually find secrets in TV shows to be more entertaining...but they seem to have gone a different direction.  I did notice that House's act of blurting it out to the team had to have been premeditated, since he invited Wilson into the room (I'm assuming telling Wilson that he need his help on the case, which is why he was holding the folder, but really House just wanted to tell everyone together). 

I liked the scene in Wilson's office where House is trying to convince Wilson that's he's not lying.  It was a twist on that scene that always seems to happen in romantic comedies (that never happens in real life), where everyone's like "Prove you're in love!  Let's see a kiss!" and then they're not happy with a peck, so they have to make out in front of them.  Like that ever happens in real life.  That would be so awkward.  Well, that's basically what Wilson is asking...but Cuddy takes it in a different direction.  Quite entertaining. 

Throughout the episode, I was getting mad at House everytime he was being super submissive and obedient to Cuddy, I kept wanting him to just yell, which we find out is what the whole episode is leading up to.  I was pretty surprised that House was doing that at all, I mean really the benefit of being in a relationship with your boss is that you don't have to do that.  Let me explain with a anecdote about myself... I have two jobs.  With one job, I'm uncomfortable with my boss, and I usually act pretty fake at work, I suck up and always do what I'm told.  I, like everyone, get frustrated at work, and would very much like to yell at my boss sometimes, but I don't do that, because that could result in me getting fired.  So, I bottle it up, and then vent to other people. 

On the other end of the spectrum, at my other job my boyfriend is my boss.  The great thing about this is that I'm not afraid to let him know how I feel about things.  We fight a lot about work things, but it works.  We don't keep anything bottled up.  I think we get a lot more done this way.  If everyone was always honest at work, we all would always have big fights with our bosses, but we really can't do that, unless we're comfortable enough with them. 

So, my point is, that I was hoping this was the resolution the episode would come to, and was very glad when it did.  I was just surprised that that House and Cuddy were tiptoeing around each other in the first place, because I myself have never done that. 

I liked how the episode went  full circle ending with House and Cuddy at the elevator, like the first scene, but I thought it felt slightly inconclusive with the family. I mean, I guess I can assume that since that's where the episode ended, that the girl gets her brother's lung, and she's good, but it seemed to be lacking in resolution a little to me.  It was also pretty sad, most House episodes have a happy ending with the patient, and this really wasn't one of those.  But that's fine, they shouldn't all be the same.  Most House episodes follow the exact same formula, so it's nice to see one that breaks that formula, even if it's only slightly.

I'm pretty anxious for next week.  It's the House/Cuddy  Wilson/Sam double date I've been anxiously awaiting ever since I saw promo photos forever ago, so I'm pretty excited.

Please leave comments with your thoughts on the episode, I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment